Monday, June 25, 2012

Let's get acquainted.

Every time someone asks me what I do, I always give a little sigh and chuckle.  It's not that I have a difficult job, it's just not easily summed up with a label, like doctor, accountant, or actor.  My official title is Content Production Stylist.  Huh? First off, I don't cut hair. Basically, I make things look pretty.  I am one of 3 people that make products look good for an electronic retailer that starts with a Q.  We dress models, "build" sets and decorate them, create table top environments for a slew of products (beauty, jewelry, accessories, collectibles, linens, food, and anything else), and work with producers, videographers (who double as Directors of Photography and Lighting Directors) and a bunch of office people, all in the name of selling you a product.  What we do is video, so it's seen on air and on the web.  There are 4 photo stylists as well working on web and paper publications.  

Here's an example:
I arranged the wall flats and decorated this living room set.  The camera tripod is behind the sofa in the foreground.  The tops of the flats were never seen, so on camera it looks like a living room with an office alcove. The product, a printer sitting on the desk.  The action was a model with a laptop sitting on the sofa and sending a document to the printer. This probably took 6-8 hours to set up, was shot the next day, and torn down as soon as we wrapped.

We do some interesting setups and can experiment with different looks for interiors, fashion, etc. I thought there might be someone out there who could translate that into their own life.  So I will be posting things from work, my home and neighborhood, travels, and wherever, that I think are interesting or of good design. Hopefully I can give some tips and hints so you can create some beauty in your world.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment