Sunday, December 23, 2012

Christmas time!



Decorating for Christmas can be a daunting task, especially for those of us who have been doing it since July.  Working for a  retail based company, Christmas seems to happen all year.  So by the time December rolls around, I have to gather all my Christmas energy and decorate my own home.  I usually do a color theme for the tree and then that spills over onto the mantle, coffee table, and other places.  2012 brings a red and white theme, with some woodsy hints.  We start with a Frasier Fir.  We like the more open feeling and sturdier branches.  This year's tree is quite narrow, which works out well for the corner we place it in.   A Christmas tree's magic lies in the lights. I have not switched over to LEDs and I am resisting.  I love the look of the small incandescents.  What you cannot see from the picture is the strand of large bulb lights running up the trunk.  I have randomly changed out about half of the static bulbs for blinking bulbs.  This creates a fun magical twinkling effect without being obnoxious. Then, I wrap the tree with strands of clear lights, and strands of clear and red lights.

The ornaments have been collected over years.  Most are round glass, but there are lots of other shapes and materials. Like I said, I only used red, white, clear, and combinations of the three.  To add the nature element I added some red birds, natural dogwood branches, and pine cones of various sizes and species.  The tree topper is a star made of white pine pine cones.  I wired each one to the top of the tree in a star burst arrangement.


 The mantle is an extension of the tree theme.  I started with white, natural, and iced branches.  Next came the pine cones.  There are white, sugar, Austrian, and other varieties.  I did one large grouping in the center, and then a grouping under each sconce.  I very rarely wire anything together.  I like the challenge of balancing and arranging.  After the cones are placed I start adding the greens.  I like to use a number of different kinds of greens.  Frasier, arborvitae, and Douglas fir were used this year. I often use white pine as well because I love the long needles.  And finally, the small red ornaments add the color and contrast. 

So what's the lesson here -- layering.  Christmas decorating is all about layering and mixing.  In the tree I layer the lights; large lights as close to the trunk and smaller ones towards the outside.  I put ornaments inside the tree as well as on the tips.  When you look at the tree you see white ornaments with red ornaments behind them.  The greens and branches are layered as background to the pine cones on the mantle.  I mix varieties of greens, sizes and colors of ornaments, and shiny and matte finishes.  All of this mixing and layering creates a sophisticated and festive look for the holidays. 

And then there are the outside decorations.  I save the big wow factor for Halloween.  For Christmas I try to be a little more subtle and classic.  The urns outside reflect what is happening on the inside.  I started with a small three foot Douglas fir tree that I purchased at the home improvement garden center.  I've seen these trees at grocery stores as well.  I kept part of the base that came with the tree and buried in the soil to help keep the tree upright.  I then added greens.  Like the mantle, there are all types of greens to add texture and subtle color.  There are also holly branches to add some red. To add some more height to the arrangement, I added white painted branches and what I believe are red osier dogwood branches.  I picked up those items at the local nursery.  And it wouldn't be Christmas without lights.  There are two strands of clear white lights woven in the branches and greens.  This is really the first year I've done Christmas arrangements for the outside, and I think they turned out well.

The arrangement for the porch is done in the same manner, but on a smaller scale.  A friend told us a great phrase to help in arranging planters -- You start with a filler, add a thriller, then the spiller. And that philosophy is great.  The greens are the filler.  The ornaments and tall branches are the thriller, and the low arborvitae and pine cones that hang over the edge of the urn are the spiller. 

So as you make your way to friends and family this year, I hope you take note of all the beautiful ways that they have decorated.  It's just one of the many ways we can express the joy of the season.  

Have a Merry Christmas everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment